George's Creek Regional History Exhibit -- Catalog
George's Creek Regional Library, Main Street, Lonaconing, Maryland
HOME / CABINETS F & G |
|| Display Cabinet F |
Top Shelf -- Booklets, Pamphlets, and Brochures
- George Ternent and Sons, 100th Anniversary, 1885-1985.
- Lonaconing Iron Furnace Dedication, June 27, 1982; refurbishment of furnace and establishment of the park.
- Lonaconing's Jubilee, Sept. 1 - 7, 1907; 70th anniversary of the town.
- Soldiers Homecoming, World War II, July, 1946.
- Cumberland Daily News Souvenir Edition, featuring Lonaconing Homecoming and Centennial, July, 1937.
- Old Home Week, August, 1927.
- Good Will Fire Company Anniversary booklet.
- Post Office Special Cancellation for Lonaconing Sesquicentennial, 1985.
- Antique Sacred Songs book, American Society of Christian Endeavor.
- Employee Magazine, Davis Coke Company, December, 1916.
- Windows to the Past; Allegany County anecdotes written and contributed by Betty Van Newkirk.
- Plaque commemorating importance of the Iron Furnace; sold for fund raising, circa 1985.
- Composition books from Old Central School.
- Annual Reports, Inspector of Mines, Allegany and Garrett Counties.
- Antique 19th century eye glasses.
- 19th Century washboard.
- Lonaconing Health Clinic basket, uniform and equipment; first facility in town, sponsored by the Red Cross.
- Early dental tools used by Dr. Gorman Getty, first town dentist. (Donated by James Ritchie.)
- Fort Cumberland Bicentennial Program, 1932.
- History of Allegany County; History of Western Maryland.
- Early 19th century feathered hat. (Donated by the Atkinson family).
- Newspaper article, 1998, featuring placement of Lefty Grove trophy; written by J. Suter Kegg who was instrumental in George's Creek Valley's retention of the trophy.
- 1931 edition of New York Weekly featuring Lefty Grove with first Most Valuable Player trophy. (Donated by Robert Burns of Delaware.)
- Deane Mellander, B & O Thunder in the Alleghenies; features the Scenic Railroad.
- Ross Grenard and John Krause. Steam in the Alleghenies -- Western Maryland. (Donated by Patrick Stakem.)
- Historic Clarysville Inn menu, 1807.
- "Allegany County -- 200 Years, 1789-1989".
- Iron shoe-making last.
- Memorial card from funeral service for Lefty Grove (1975), Eichorn Funeral Home.
- "Heritage Weekly," featuring Lonaconing, 1978.
- Spinning wheel from Lonaconing Silk Mill (1937-1957) (Donated by Herbert Crawford.)
- Plaque displaying mounted 1920/1930 film advertisements from Bob Marshall's Confectionary, as presented at the San Toy Theater, with note of 1953 admission prices. (Donated by Robert and Ann Brown.)
Display Cabinet G |
Shelf 1 -- Left Half
- Cumberland Times newspaper concerning World War II events.
- World War II ration book of Martha Dillon.
- Bradstreet financial listings book (includes George Ternent family business).
- San Toy Theater programs, tickets and advertisements, 1927 and 1955 (Donated by Edyth Smith.)
Shelf 2 -- Left Half
- World War II (1945) gas rationing stamp book.
- Antique fans from local businesses.
- World War I uniform and hat.
- Photograph of World War I, 1919, victory parade in Barton.
- Newspaper of World War II events.
- World War I War Department checks; individuals donating to the war effort.
- World War II military greeting cards.
- Lapel pins signifying donation of time or money to World War I war effort.
- Lonaconing Savings Bank book.
- Collection of sales slips and promotion items from local businesses.
- Ceramic doorknob found in 1980's archeological dig of Lonaconing Main Street (relic of 1882 town fire?).
- Telegram received by the mother of Alvin C. Neat, Lonaconing's first World War II casualty.
Shelf 1 -- Right Half
- Georges Creek area resources for the production of pig iron at Lonaconing's Iron Furnace, a display by Dr. Stanley K. Dickinson of various stages of iron production. Iron ore samples found in surrounding mountains; pig iron bar made in Lonaconing's Iron Furnace, circa 1850; framed rock strata item above Cabinet G.
Cabinet Top Display |
Above Display Cabinets F & G
- Allegany County, Maryland, Rural Cemeteries. Genealogical Society of Allegany County, 1990. 284 pages.
- Cemeteries, Churches and Funeral Homes, pages 690-835 of unknown history work.
- Early Settlers of Allegany County. (List of settlers in 1787: name, rank, regiment and lot number of the 50-acre lots given to Maryland soldiers serving in the Revolutionary War.)
- Harvey, Katherine A., editor, Lonaconing Journals: The Founding of a Coal and Iron Community, 1837-1840. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society, 1977.
- Heritage Press, monthly, reprints; Volume 1, Number 1, November 1971; Volume 1, number 1, September 1972; and Number 12, Bicentennial issue.
- Lonaconing Post Office Record of Money Orders, 1872-1892.
- Payroll, Georges Creek Coal and Iron Company. 1906 June through 1907, November, and two other ledgers.
- Perpetual Building Association of Lonaconing, Maryland. August 28, 1875 through August 25, 1877. (Acted as a bank before there was an official one.)
- Richards, Thomas Witner and Sally Miller Atkinson. The Lonaconing Legacy, Its Cornish and Scottish Sons and Daughters. 2000. 384 pages.
- Savage, William C. "Monument to War Heroes, Pride of Lonaconing" and "Remember When" [looseleaf scrapbooks].
- Scott, Harold L., Sr. Incredible, Strange, Unusual...Customs, Legends, People, Tales, Events, Cumberland and Allegany County, Maryland. Cumberland, Maryland: 2001. 144 pages.
- The Shield, Valley High School, Lonaconing, Maryland. Vol 1 number 1, December 22, 1954 through Volume 6, number 8, June 1, 1960. (8 issues yearly.)
- Stegmaier, Harry J., et al. Allegany County, a History. Allegany County Commissioners, 1976. 474 pages.
- Wolfe, George ("Hooper.") I Drove Mules on the C and O Canal. Dover, Delaware: Dover Graphic Associates, 1969. (Also 16 page supplement.)
Cabinet Top Display |
Framed Items on Top of Display Cabinets F and G
- Central Elementary and High School, 1960.
- Main Street of Lonaconing, circa 1950.
- Newspaper clipping collage concerning Arthur Francis Smith, 1940's principal of Central High School.
- Memorial fountain in front of the Chesapeake and Potomac Railroad Depot, Lonaconing, 1927; fountain is now located in West Main Street parklet.
- Miners in front of Detmold Mining Stable, 1920.
- Old Jackson Mine #3 (insets of some employees), Lonaconing, early 1900's.
- World War I celebration for returning Lonaconing soldiers, 1919.
- Central High School state debating team, 1918.
- Detailed schematic drawing of Lonaconing Iron Furnace.
- Map and schematic of area rock strata; part of Dickinson display.
- Sloan & Son General Merchandise, company store for the Georges Creek Coal Company, 1909 calendar.